Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
Alta Bates Summit Medical Center is a three-campus medical center, offering over 1,000 beds and serving Berkeley, Oakland and surrounding communities.
Alta Bates Summit Medical Center Web site
For the names of doctors and nurse midwives in this area, please call Health Match at 510-869-6777
- An InVitro Fertilization Program with some of the country's best fertility success rates.
- Prenatal services including genetic counseling and a full range of genetic laboratory services.
Services offered at Alta Bates Campus:
- Birthing Plans are optional (view a sample birthing plan)
- One-room labor and delivery, where spouse or partner and family can attend the birth.
- Baby stays in the mother's room after delivery.
- Private rooms are available where the spouse or partner can stay overnight.
- Anesthesiologists are in-house and available 24/7 if needed; and a dedicated operating room is available for Cesarean births, should the need arise.
- Breastfeeding assistance is available in the hospital.
- Access to bilingual interpreters 24/7 - multiple languages available.
- Referral network for Midwife services.
- Defined scope of practice for Doula support in the birthing process.
Specialty Services for Newborns
- Neonatologists/Pediatricians are in-house and are available 24/7 for newborns in need.
- Level III dedicated neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for newborns in need of specialized care.
- Learn more about the specialized environment of our NICU.
Classes at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
A variety of childbirth preparation classes are available. For more details about classes offered at the Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, visit the Alta Bates Summit Web site.